Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with significant fraud prevention experience.
60109343

Mr. MICHAEL MCFARLAND IS CALLING ME TO SAY I HAVE WON A LARGE

Customer Question

Mr. MICHAEL MCFARLAND IS CALLING ME TO SAY I HAVE WON A LARGE AMOUNT OF MONEY AND TWO CARS. IT WILL BE DELIVERED TOMORROW IF I TRANSFER $15,000 TO A BANK ACCOUNT. IS THIS POSSIBLY TRUE? HOW CAN I FIND OUT. HIS PHONE NUMBER IS(###) ###-####
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do everything I can to answer your question.

Unforutnately, you are being targeted for a scam and the person who has contacted you is committing a serious felony. Real sweeptakes winners are NEVER required to pay money up front to claim their prize. This is an infallable rule. Any time you are asked to send money in order to claim money, you can be assured that you are dealing with a fraud situation.

Specifically, this is called an "advanced fee" fraud. Basically, scammers contact victims and inform them of prize winnings or some other financial windfall and then ask them to send money. Of course, there is no prize and there is just a trick to get the victim to part with their cash. Once the victim pays, the scammer disappears and moves on to their next victim.

In the next days or weeks, be on the look out for similar "too good to be true" sweepstakes" winnings, and similar windfall type offers. These will be further scams perpetrated by the same individual contacting you now under a different guise. Scammers love to double back on potential victims like this with "followup scams" in the hope that, though they couldn't trick you the first time, they will trick you the next.
In the mean time, you would be wise to immediately cease further contact with this scammer and report the matter to the local police and FBI field office. You can locate your local FBI field office here: http://www.fbi.gov/contact-us

I hope that you find this information helpful. Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.

If you do not require any further assistance, please be so kind as to provide a positive rating of my service so that I may receive credit for assisting you. Very best wishes moving forward.
Hello again,

I just wanted to followup with you to make sure that you did not have any further questions or concerns. For some unknown reason, the experts are not always getting replies or ratings (which is how we get credit for our work) that the customer thinks have gone through. In your case I have not yet received either. If you are having technical difficulties with reading, replying or rating, please let me know so that I can inform the site administrator.

In any event, it was a pleasure assisting you and I would be glad to attempt to assist you further on this issue, or a new legal issue, if needed.

Very best wishes.