Zoey_JD
Zoey_JD, Criminal attorney
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
18321761

Publishers clearing house & multi-state lottery association

Customer Question

publishers clearing house & multi-state lottery association each with winners letter &both with checks for over 7K in them .
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you with your question.
I'm sorry to inform you that this is a scam. This is not how Publisher's Clearing House does business. If you contact these folks they will tell you to deposit the checks and then to wire off some of those funds to pay for shipping, insurance, transfer expenses or taxes.
When the check bounces, which it will, you will owe your bank for the overdraft and it will be your own money that you would have wired off to scammmers.
Publisher's Clearinghouse is aware that many scammmers use their names, and their website warns you to beware of impersonators. They post warnings on their site that you never have to pay anything at all to collect your winnings. It also warns about the fake checks and gives you a number to call where PCH will tell you themselves whether you really won one of their contests.
http://info.pch.com/consumer-information/tips-a-warning-signs
An up-front fee is the #1 sign of a contest scam. They will give you a logical reason for asking you for money, such as shipping, taxes, courier fees, transfer expenses but these are lies. In any real contest, all expenses would be deducted from your winnings and the rest sent to you free and clear. You would never have to put your hand in your pocket.
The scammer is using real names to make their lies sound more credible. Don't fall for it.
You can find out all you will ever need about fake contests here. Read it carefully, because we all get bunches of these and none is real.
http://www.consumerfraudreporting.org/lotteryscamnamesUV.php
Any time you get something unsolicited out of the blue on the web that is too good to be true and which will cost you money to claim, it is a scam!
Cease all contact with the scammers, send no money, and report the scam to your police, to the FBI at IC3.gov and to the Federal Trade Commission at FTC.gov.