Zoey_JD
Zoey_JD, Criminal attorney
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
18321761

I was offered a house in Jackson Michigan by Scott

Customer Question

I was offered a house for rent in Jackson Michigan by ***** ***** who said once I pay my deposit he will send me the keys and rental lease and agreement. He says he works in the Missionary in Maryland. I have drove to and looked inside the house he is offering. Is this a scam ?
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 1 year ago.
Hello
My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you with your question.
When you say you drove to and looked inside the house he is offering, do you mean you met the owner or the rental agent who let you in with the keys and then toured you around the premises? Because if the answer to that is no, here's how the rental scam goes:
You see a home in a desirable area on a site such as Craigslist. The price of the rental for the area will be much too good to be true. The owner will tell you that he or she cannot show you the house and will have some kind of reasonable excuse. However, he says that he has keys and all you have to do is wire the deposit and he will send you the keys and the lease.
Of course, the keys never come, even though as part of the scam you may end up signing a lease. That is because there is no house for rent. There are no keys. Your money is gone and your "landlord" is nowhere to be found either, since everything he told you is a lie.
If the house exists at all you will find the premises occupied by a longtime owner or tenant who doesn't know what you're talking about because it was never actually for rent. And there you are, without a home having also lost hefty sum of cash, with no legal recourse, since your scammers can be anyone anywhere in the world.
You can read more about this on Snopes.com.
http://www.snopes.com/fraud/sales/rental.asp
If this sounds like your deal, don't fall for it. Report it to the FBI at IC3.gov, to the Federal Trade Commission at FTC.gov and to Craiglist or wherever you found the ad so they will take it down.