Zoey_JD
Zoey_JD, Criminal attorney
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
18321761

Someone has been calling people I know and claiming to be with

Customer Question

Someone has been calling people I know and claiming to be with elr regional investigators. They are saying my personal information has been used to commit a fraud crime. I have not committed any fraud or crimes. Is this a scam?
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you with your question.
I have found a website for this company, which says that it's locatated in Alabama. But I cannot find any record of it with the Alabama Secretary of State, where I would expect it to be listed for tax purposes. I also find no mention of this in the records of the Better Business Bureau.
Their website was created in November 2013, and it will expire in 4 months. The site owner is in Georgia, but there is no such company as ELR listed with the Georgia Secretary of State either.
I cannot confirm whether they are a scam or not, though I have found many complaints about them on the web.
http://800notes.com/Phone.aspx/1-***-***-****
If they are legitimate, they are private investigators and not police. It's entirely possible that someone could have used your name or personal details to commit a crime. In any case, they are phishing for information, and you should not contact them.