Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Licensed Attorney
Experience:  Licensed Attorney / former Law Enforcement Agent
26296561

Our daughter used two of our credit cards without our permission

Customer Question

Our daughter used two of our credit cards without our permission and we are pressing charges. We notified each card company, we signed affidavits regarding the abuse, we have written letters to them giving them the name of the derective and the case number. Do we have to make payments to them? The cards were zero balance before she used them.
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is***** am a licensed attorney and former law enforcement agent.
I will be happy to answer your question.
I am sorry to hear about this unfortunate situation.
Were the actual credit cards used in your name or was your daughter ever listed as an authorized user on the credit card accounts?
How did your daughter obtain your credit card information and what was the amount of the charges made by your daughter?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
One credit card was in my name and the other in my husband's name. She was never listed as authorized user on ether account.We were wintering and traveling in Arizona. She hadpermissionto open our mail to forward tax documents to us so when the cards arrived in the mail, she made use of them. My card had over $5000 charged to it. My husband's card had $1700+.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
All transactions were made in Oregon and I sent copies of gas and purchase receipts to the fraud departments documenting our being out of the state during the time of the transactions.The card companies keep asking for payment and we are concerned about our credit score.
Thank you for your follow up.
While I cannot comment on your specific case, generally, credit card account holders would not be responsible for unauthorized transaction, unless the bank believes that the transactions were somehow authorized, however, generally if police report is filed and the person who used the credit cards without authorization is arrested and criminally prosecuted and the credit card company denies the claim related to fraudulent transactions and insists for the account holders to pay for the unauthorized charges, then account holders should consult and retain an experienced local consumer protection law attorney, who can help resolve this situation by either resolving the issue with the bank or filing of a lawsuit.
I wish you the best of luck!
Do you have any related follow up questions for me?
Do you have any related follow up questions?
If not, please positively rate and accept my answer, so I can be compensated for my work.
Thank you.