Zoey_JD
Zoey_JD, Criminal attorney
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
18321761

Y A member from vipbookmaker.net phoned me to say that I have

Customer Question

Y A member from vipbookmaker.net phoned me to say that I have winnings in the kitty to the tune of 71 thousand pounds, she claims this is from my input six years ago to a sport bet account that folded almost immediately at the Gold Coast, most of the clients were paid a small amount of there money invested (so I am told ) I had no knowledge at the time of this event when I did ring up as to enquire what was happening, I was told it had shut down and members were paid out.
This lady claims I have not paid my membership for six years which she also claims I opened in 2011 ???(6yrs) ??? - 2015 she can't add up?? . The amount I originally invested was $1300 - she claims in one breath it was 12 hundred pound and by the next phone call could not go back in time 6 years to tell me what my original investment was.
She says they are prepared to waive five of my six years of membership and will release my winnings if I pay the current years membership of 12 hundred pound. I said send me 12 hundred pound from my winnings and I will pay the amount owing or deduct 12 hundred pound. From the account so we can move on , she claims she can do neither as the account is frozen and needs to be addressed immediately to go forward.
I feel it's a scam also being of a foreign country nationality (the lady) that rang I am scared of it all being a scam. I have an email sent to me from her stating the the amount owing and her vipbookmakers address if u need this I can forward it on to you to follow up on the whole matter.
Thank you D J Mclean(###) ###-####
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you with your question.
This is a scam. When money really already belongs to you, you never have to pay any money out of pocket to get it. Either it's legally yours or it isn't. The up-front fee is the #1 sign of a scam.
If there really were any transfer expenses, it would be taken out of the balance they have for you. You know that and asked them to do that. They had an excuse, which was that the account with your money in it is frozen. That's nonsense. That will just give them a reason to ask for even more money if you are foolish enough to send then 1,200 pounds.
And why would they want it in pounds anyway? You're Australian. vipbookmaker.net's IP address traces to the US and the site gives no actual contact information.
Don't send them any money. Don't take any further calls from these folks. Just report the fraud to Scamwatch.gov.au.