Ely, Consultant
Experience:  Attorney in law with focus on consumer protection
7286322

An indian accent person left a message claiming they were from

Customer Question

An indian accent person left a message claiming they were from the IRS regarding pending taxes with a badge number. When I called back, another person with another badge number stated he was busy and told me a warrant for my arrest was issued for "pending taxes". When I stated, "I don't even have a job in the last year…and my income was less than 10,000" I was told a police officer was coming to my door! I then told them I was going to call my financial advisor and they hung up on me! there phone number was (###) ###-####
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: (A) This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein. No attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms; (B)If you receive a phone call offer while we chat, know that this is an automated test feature the site is running. Due to possible ethical issues, the site allows experts not participate in phone calls and I normally decline them. Unless the phone call offer you receive literally states "THIS OFFER IS FROM ELY" (which means I personally initiated it), please do not entertain any such offer; and (C) there may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my reply while I am typing out my answer.
Stop and take a deep breath. This is a scam.
See here and here. This has been going on for some time now, and the people on the other end are from India or Pakistan, but not always. They are very good at impersonating IRS, and threatening to sue/arrest you if you do not immediately pay.
Of course, this is a scam, but without knowing about the scam, people may fall for it.
There is even a way to verify if the call was real - call 1-***-***-**** to determine if the caller is an IRS employee with a legitimate need to contact you.
However, this is likely scam since no IRS person would ever be calling you with such a threat. The fact that they have a strong Indian accent only makes me think this more.
I hope this helps and clarifies. Gentle Reminder: Use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please rate when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces/stars and then SUBMIT, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars or failing to submit the rating does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith.