Law Educator, Esq., Consultant
Experience:  24+ years law enforcement. Licensed Attorney.
10285032

I AM A FRIEND OF A 96 YR OLD MAN WHO HAS RECEIVED AN OFFER

Customer Question

I AM A FRIEND OF A 96 YR OLD MAN WHO HAS RECEIVED AN OFFER FROM SOMEONE IN
HONG KONG WHO CALLS HIMSELF MANAGING DIRECTOR OF HARVEST GLOBAL INVESTMENT AND ALSO ITS CHIEF INVESTMENT OFFICER. HE TELLS MY FRIEND THAT
AN AMERICAN NAMESAKE HAS DIED AND LEFT AN ESTATE OF APPROX. 8.75 MILLION U.S. DOLLARS - THIS MAN APPARENTLY DIED 5 YEARS AGO. THIS HAS ENCOURAGED THIS MAN (I THINK A CHINESE NATIONAL) TO GET IN TOUCH WITH MY FRIEND - HE OFFERS TO OBTAIN THESE FUNDS LEGALLY AND NEEDS TO HAVE (AS PRIME BROKERS - WHATEVER THAT MIGHT MEANS) CERTAIN DETAILS TO FORM A BUSINESS RELATIONSHIP.. THESE FUNDS ARE APPARENTLY IN A HONG KONG BANK. I AM SURE THIS IS A SCAM AND THE
NEXT THING HE WILL BE ASKED FOR WILL BE HIS BANK DETAILS AND SO ON.
NO ADDRESS IS GIVEN BUT HIS NAME IS***** HE GIVES AN E-MAIL ADDRESS AS [email protected] com.hk. HE ALSO GIVES A TELEPHONE NUMBER 852N8191 7402-
I DO NOT WANT TO ENTER INTO CORRESPONDENCE WITH MRL KWAN - BUT EQUALLY I
WOULD LIKE TO PUT A STOP TO ANY ILLEGAL ACTIVITIES. ALSO I WOULD DEARLY LOVE TO KNOW HOW HE GOT HOLD OF A VERY OLD MAN IN DEEPEST SUSSEX - WHO HAS NEVER BEEN FURTHER EAST THAN SOUTH AFRICA.
I LOOK FORWARD TO HEARING FROM YOU.
YVONNE-MARIE DYSON
E MAIL***@******.*** (yes there are 3 m's)
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purpose only.
This is a scam, it is called a 419 scam and they keep changing the names of the people involved, but the scam is the same.
Here is another person reporting this same scam company: http://www.419scam.org/emails/2015-02/01/00167589.1.htm
The company even has a scam boiler room website, which is a website with nothing to back it up.
These people sound very convincing but they are just criminals.
You can report them to the HK police, but chances are (nobody can prove it or find these criminals) that these criminals are not even in HK but more likely in Nigeria or Ghana.
You can report this to Interpol as they have a computer crime unit as well.