Zoey_JD
Zoey_JD, Criminal attorney
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
18321761

I am being scammed by someone overseas explicit video

Customer Question

I am being scammed by someone overseas for an explicit video of me how can I stop this
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you with your question.
It is always dangerous to have sexual types of encounters over the web with strangers. There are unscrupulous people who look to meet men and women on the web and who tease them into sending explicit texts, photos or videos and then threaten to blackmail them with it. It is NEVER safe to have cyber-sex on a web-cam or exchange explicit photos or chat with any stranger. This is precisely why. Many scammers are online only to try to set you up.
You know that now, and what you have learned is that if you pay money to a blackmailer, you will have to keep paying money all the rest of your life, whenever this creep can use a bit more cash.
You need to block and ignore this person and send no further money. Report the blackmail to your police. If you know where he's really from, you can report him to his police as well.
Despite all of the threats he has made, however, the scammer gets nothing out of exposing you. His real interest is not to ruin your life. What he most wants to do is to scare you into paying him the money he asks for. But if you do that, he will only keep asking you for more. On the other hand, if you choose not to pay him and call his bluff, he gets nothing from you at all, and even if he does contact your friends, he still has no further power over you.
You should not pay this man any money. This is blackmail, pure and simple, and extortion is a felony.
So to recap :
- it will do you no good at all to send money to this person. You will then be giving a blackmailer the power to control the entire rest of your life. That would be disastrous. Hang on to your money.
- you need to cease contact immediately with this person and report him to the authorities.
- if you call his bluff and just cease all contact with him, he may do absolutely nothing because he gets absolutely nothing out of reporting you and it's money he really wants.