Zoey_JD
Zoey_JD, Criminal attorney
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
18321761

I am selling my car holden cruz $12.000 through gumtree

Customer Question

Hello i am selling my car holden cruz $12.000 through gumtree ,a person contacted me on my mobile said he was interested in buying indicating that he would the money into my Paypal account or into direct bank account .
He is on a oil rig off New Zealand , once the money has been received he will contact a courier driver to pick the car & take it to Darwin where he is based
it sound's a bit suspect to me , why buy down here & deliver it up their
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 1 year ago.
This is a well known scam. Don't even think of selling to someone in another country who isn't able to come see the car and test drive it first.
In the typical vehicle scam, the buyer is overseas or somewhere in your own country a great distance from you. He cannot see your car but is eager to buy it sight unseen. Then he promises to pay you in more than the amount you want for the car with the understanding that you will wire money for him to the so-called shipper who he says will pick up the car for him.
No courier will ever come because there isn't one. Your money will have gone directly to a scammer who will receive it instantly. The money you get from your buyer will be in the form of a check that will bounce in 2 or 3 weeks or will be from a credit card, PayPal or other sort of transfer which will reversed before you can claim it. The buyer vanishes into thin air with your money.
This sounds very much like what you are talking about. Tell him you have another buyer and cease all contact with him.