Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with significant fraud prevention experience.
60109343

I got a call 3 diferent times saying the irs would be filing

Customer Question

I got a call 3 diferent times saying the irs would be filing a lawsuit for bask taxes. the call came from phone number(###) ###-####on my personal phone in Hagerstown, MD. I returned the call and they asked for my social security number. He then called me a few nasty names. I told him that I needed to speak to
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do everything I can to answer your question.
This is a scam. That phone number doesn't belong to the IRS. It belongs to a scammer as has been reported multiple times here: http://800notes.com/Phone.aspx/1-***-***-****
The real IRS does not call to tell people about back taxes, they send letters. Nobody from an official government agency like the IRS would ever call you names on the phone, either. That is completely unprofessional and something a real government employee could be severely disciplined for. These are tactics you might expect from a credit card company or debt collection agency, but not the government.
What this is that you've encountered is a shake down. The criminal who called you is posing as an IRS official and trying to intimidate people into sending money to "settle" delinquent tax bills. It's all a sham, and all that can be done is ignore the fraud and report it to the FBI by contacting your local FBI field office. You can locate your local FBI field office here: http://www.fbi.gov/contact-us
I hope that you find this information helpful. Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.
If you do not require any further assistance, please be so kind as to provide a positive rating of my service so that I may receive credit for assisting you. Very best wishes moving forward.