Zoey_JD
Zoey_JD, Criminal attorney
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
18321761

Is Bristol Who's Who a scam? The only review I have found are

Customer Question

Is Bristol Who's Who a scam? The only review I have found are from employees (current and former) but no actual users. I just got talked out of $800 today through a very slick promotion -- I was not given a chance to consider it overnight -- it was a now or never deal. I'm embarrassed I let myself be talked into it under these conditions. And their website T&Cs say, once the deal is done on the phone, it is instantaneous and there are no refunds.
Did I make a huge mistake?
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you with your question.
No, this is not a scam, at least in the sense that you will get what you paid for. These Who's Who books are in the nature of vanity publications. That is, if you want to be in one, you simply have to pay for the listing and provide the information.
You really will be in a book which will include others similarly professionally situated. And it is one way of finding others in your area and field should you need to network with them. That said, as you already seem to know, how useful inclusion in such a book may be is debatable.
The company is actual and is B rated by the Better Business Bureau. You can see their review of the company here:
http://www.bbb.org/new-york-city/business-reviews/vanity-publishers/bristol-who-s-who-in-long-island-city-ny-147480/
If you now have buyers regret and feel that you were too aggressively pushed into a deal you don't want, the BBB can mediate on behalf of customers with consumer protection issues. Not only that, they'll do it for free. If you have tried to get an immediate refund and failed, sometimes the BBB can accomplish what an ordinary consumer cannot. Those with good ratings are usually eager to stay in the BBB's good graces, as they value their reputation.
You can reach them at bbb.org. As you can see from the review, they have already handled several complaints against them, and they have been successful in getting a favorable resolution of some sort for almost all of the customers.