Zoey_JD
Zoey_JD, Criminal attorney
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
18321761

I'm told I won a $850,000 plus a new Mercedies benz but they

Customer Question

I'm told I won a $850,000 plus a new Mercedies benz but they need $850 to for State Assurance to bring the money into California. They want tis amount sent to them via Western Union. Is this a legit plan?
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you with your question.
Please don't wire any money to these folks. They are scammers.
You are right to question this. Scammers always want you to believe you could win a contest that you haven't entered but you can't. All contests are considered a form of gambling here in the US. They are tightly regulated and must conformed to state and federal laws. You must always enter a contest in order to win it.
If you won an actual lottery or sweepstakes you’d have a ticket or your half of the entry form which you’d need to show to the contest verify that you’re entitled to payment. You don’t, because this whole thing is a scam.
And why would a private check go to Washington DC if you are in California? Or need to wait in Canada for a Western Union payment when they already supposedly have $850,000 of "your" money. It's pure nonsense.
You never have to pay anything out of your own pocket to get money that is already legally yours. Any legitimate contest would deduct any transfer expenses from your winnings and simply hand you a check for the rest. The up-front fee, no matter what they tell you it is for, is the #1 sign of a contest scam.
Any time you get unsolicited contact from any person, company or agency you have never dealt with before with news that is much too good to be true, it is a scam.