Zoey_JD
Zoey_JD, Criminal attorney
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
18321761

I am trying to sell my property in Portugal and I have been

Customer Question

I am trying to sell my property in Portugal and I have been offered the asking price by someone claiming to be Ahmed Tinubu. I ave, to-day, received a copy of a passport and a utilities bill, via the internrt. The documents seem to be genuine but I would ask if you know of any scam by people from Nigeria. The e-mail address used is :*****@******.***
Any help will be appreciated.
Regards.
dominic.
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you with your question.
Yes, this is a well-known scam.
First of all, diplomatic couriers work for Embassies and do not deliver anything to private individuals. They deliver sensitive and classified documents from one diplomat to another. Secondly, if you are selling your property, there would be no need for you to have to open up a bank account in a foreign country to receive funds. The buyer could wire funds from his bank to any bank in the world, including your bank in Portugal (or wherever you happen to be).
The only reason for you to open up a bank account is because he IS asking for money, and this how he's trying to disguise that fact. In order to open up a "bank account" you will be required to deposit several thousand dollars. In reality, there is no real bank involved in this equation. There is just a scammer and your money will go directly to him, though this scam may come complete with a phony clone bank website where you can see the funds in "your account."
You want to walk away from this deal. Anyone with photediting software can create a convincing looking jpg of a passport and a utiity bill. Anyone with a computer can find hundreds of photos of Ahmed Bola Tinubu and download them.
Politician.com is a free generic website that the scammer is using to make you think you are dealing with someone in the political arena. But in fact official political government email addresses do not end in .com. A Nigerian government official's email address would end in .gov.ng.
https://www.google.com/search?q=Ahmed+Bola+Tinubu&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=8kNvVfilKtesyATv2YK4Ag&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAg&biw=957&bih=602
You should cease all correspondence with this person. He may be Nigerian, but he's a scammer and any money you put into this bogus "bank account" you will never see again.