Zoey_JD
Zoey_JD, Criminal attorney
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
18321761

I have received two letters from Canada saying I was the 3rd

Customer Question

I have received two letters from Canada saying I was the 3rd place winner in Plublishers Clearing House and our sponsors Visa,MasterCard,Discover and American Express, are pleased to announce that the 2015 give away has been finalized. They are signing the letter or should I say using the name Andrew Goldberg President and CEO of Publisher Clearing House.
1. Letter ticket #03-61983 was the 3rd place winner with serial #745-225-905 $ 650,000 in cash credited to ref: file #2015-25533 contact agent Robert Peters at 1-***-***-****. Next step was directed by Mr. Tom Stevens Ph: 1-***-***-**** go to the bank take $4500 from my Discover card and they would put the $4500 back on my Discover card and therefore it would be just an in and out transaction. Then requested to give serial numbers off of two bills then place the money back in the bank envelope and proceed to get a magazine and place the money in the middle of it and tape all away around the magazine and place in in a 10 1/2 X 13 envelope and take it a FedEx and mail it to the Lawayer that would be taking care of the IRS about the taxes on the money lawyer name was Landon Jang, Suite #3, 4A9965 152nd Street, Surrey BC , Canada V3R4G5 and call Mr. Tom Stevens with the tracking number and they would call me and let me know they had received it. They also told me that they would arrive at my house on Thursday June 4th at 2:00 pm. I was instructed to tell no one about it or I would automatically be disqualified.
2. Today I got another letter saying the same thing except the names and numbers were different. This time my ticket #307-441-972 contact person or as they say agent in charge is Aron Wilson @ 1-***-***-**** I feel they are targeting the elderly or recent widows.
Which I'm both. Yes I did do as they asked but came home contacted FedEx and my money was back in my hands in less than 15hrs. Thanks to my quick thinking. But really I shouldn't
have done it at all. They really check you out even to the point of knowing how much your cash you can withdraw on your Discover Card, to where the closet place is for the mailing.
My name is***** if you would like for me to call on the other one I would be more than happy too. Would I have love for this to be true, sure I could sure use the money with the loss of my husband who was a Federal Fire Chief, who spent his life helping others I hope with this information you can help others.
Also they tell you to inform FedEx that it is legal documents not cash.
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you with your question.
Unfortunately, there is nothing true about these letters. Publisher's Clearing House is not Canadian. It is and has always been a New York State corporation. It runs its contests independently and not in conjunction with any credit card. And it NEVER, NEVER, NEVER EVER asks you for any money, even as an "in and out" transaction.
Scammers frequently use the names of real people, companies, products or government agencies to make their con jobs sound more believable.
PCH is aware of the many frauds perpetrated in their name, and they post warnings on their site that YOU NEVER HAVE TO PAY ANYTHING AT ALL TO COLLECT YOUR WINNINGS. Publisher's Clearing House's warning also gives you a phone number to call so that you can verify whether you did indeed win one of their contests. You'll find the phone number here in this warning from PCH in Tip #8.
http://info.pch.com/consumer-information/tips-a-warning-signs
Cease all contact with these scammers. Send no money. Report the fraud to the FBI online at IC3.gov and to the Federal Trade Commission at FTC.gov.