Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer.
26798026

Does Publishers Clearing House ask to pay some of the taxes

Customer Question

does Publishers Clearing House ask to pay some of the taxes before they give you the money
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I'd be happy to answer your questions today.
No. Absolutely, one hundred percent, NO, they do not. Publisher's Clearing House also doesn't notify winners by mail. They ONLY notify winners by appearing at your house with the Prize Patrol and the check.
This is such a pervasive scam that the real PCH has actually published warnings about it on their website.
http://blog.pch.com/blog/2014/02/25/beware-of-publishers-clearing-house-scams/
http://info.pch.com/consumer-information/fraud-protection
A person who wins money never has to pay taxes upfront - if that were true, considering the percentage the IRS gets, no one could ever afford to win the lottery. Any tax withholding is deducted from the total winnings and the rest is paid out as a prize.
Do not send them a penny. If they call back, just hang up. This is a scam.
If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.