Loren, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney/Hearing Officer
17897874

Was there a drawing in May with a winning Number of 564755600545188

Customer Question

Was there a drawing in May with a winning Number of 564755600545188 with serial number of(###) ###-####10. File number ktu9023118308/10 ?
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for using JustAnswer. I am Loren and I will do whatever I can to answer your question and provide you excellent service.
As you know, something which is too good to be true is, generally, not. Also, I am sure you suspect this is one of those times. Unfortunately, I am absolutely sure that there is no prize waiting for you from these people.
This is positively a scam. It is known as an "Advance Fee Scam".
Just remember:
1. You can not win a sweepstakes or lottery you did not enter.
2. No legitimate sweepstakes asks winners to pay upfront to release the winnings.
3. If they were genuinely holding money belonging to you should be able to tell them to just deduct the taxes, insurance, courier fee (all red flags, by the way) and send you a net check.
Do not send any money or otherwise respond. They are trying to steal from you.
Here is an online warning from the FTC:
http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/microsites/youarehere/pages/pdf/FTC-Fraud-Scams-The-Winner-Is.pdf
I realize this is probably not the answer you were hoping to receive. Also, please remember that this is not necessarily a moral judgement on my part. As a professional, however, I am sometimes placed in the position of having to deliver news which is not favorable to a customer's legal position, but accurately reflects their position under the law. I hate it, but it happens and I only ask that you not penalize me with a bad or poor rating for having to deliver less than favorable news.
Best regards.