Ben Jones
Ben Jones, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer with fraud examination experience
29905560

MY COMPUTER WAS HIGHJACKED WITH A SCREEN THAT REPORTED THAT

Customer Question

MY COMPUTER WAS HIGHJACKED WITH A SCREEN THAT REPORTED THAT IT WAS HACKED.
THERE WAS NOTHING I COULD DO TO GET RID OF THE SCREEN. I TURNED OFF THE UNIT AND TURNED IT BACK ON--NO CHANGE. THERE WAS A PHONE NUMBER TO CALL, SO I DID. THEY WANTED A FORTUNE TO FIX IT. WHAT COULD I DO? THEY DID NOT TELL ME WHAT PROGRAM WAS HACKED. I HAVE NOT FOUND ANY SIGN OF A HACK.
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note:
(A) This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein. No attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. This is repeated in numerous disclaimers throughout the site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms; and (B) there may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my reply while I am typing out my answer.
I am sorry to hear about this situation. Can you please tell me the NUMBER that is/was on the screen? This will help me track down the ransomware.
This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. Thank you in advance.