Zoey_JD
Zoey_JD, Criminal attorney
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
18321761

I have been contacted by a Mr,Franklin White informing me that

Customer Question

I have been contacted by a Mr,Franklin White informing me that I have won $2,500,000 as a second catagory winner. Apparently I must Pay $350 By Pay Pal Reloadable Scratch Card to start the pay out process. Process. Please let me know if the ois a scan. Richard D, Strommen
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you with your question.
This is a scam, and one of the reasons you know it must be is that you wouldn't have to ask a question here if it was a real contest that you won. You'd have a lottery ticket with winning numbers on it, if you entered a lottery, and you'd have your half of the sweepstakes entry with your numbers on it, if you entered a sweepstakes.
Scammers want you to believe that you can win a contest you have never entered, but they are lying. You must always enter a contest to be able to win, and your ticket or entry form is your verification when you go to claim your prize.
The other thing they are lying about is the $350 fee. You never have to pay anything when you win a real contest. The scammers will tell you it's for shipping or transfer fees, or insurance, or taxes, but there's no such fees involved in a real contest. Once you win a real contest, the money is already yours, and you don't have to pay for it. Any legitimate contest takes any expenses from your winnings and gives you a check for the rest, free and clear with no strings attached. An up front fee is the #1 sign of a scam.
Cease contact with these scammers, send no money. Report the fraud to the FBI at IC3.gov and to the Federal Trade Commission at FTC.gov.
You can see everything you need to know about fake contests here:
http://www.consumerfraudreporting.org/lotteryscamnamesUV.php