Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer.
26798026

How can I determine if my Facebook person is a scammer; also

Customer Question

How can I determine if my Facebook person is a scammer; also chat via e-mail
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I'd be happy to answer your questions today.
What is her Facebook profile ID? (The number or letters after "www.facebook.com" in the browser window).
What types of things make you think she might be scamming you? Does she have reasons that you can't meet, and what are they? Is she asking for money? What name is ***** *****?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is a man who ask for me to befriend him; I did not recognize his picture; very nice looking; I confirmed the friend request; he is a widower as am I; an engineer working with SHELL oil for 6 yrs. company ; currently 400 miles off the coast of England. Full name Markson David Trust; born may 25,1952; e-mail***@******.***; has Facebook profile; born in France; came to the USA with American father at age of 18; attended St. Mary's College in Los angles,Ca.; lived their prior to contract with SHELL; has a 13 yr old daughter named Sonia; attends Hockaday school in Dallas tx; resides with a person by the name of Patsy Smith( a teacher at Hockaday); has asked for money for his daughter until his contract is up in a few weeks; wanted it sent via Western Union to Guntersville Alabama; this teacher has currently traveled there with his daughter to care for a sick mother; said his daughter has run out of money for food and other necessities until he gets home
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you.Every word you've posted is consistent with stories told by scam artists: Widower, name designed to make you want to trust him, fairly common, generic, Anglo-sounding name, working on an oil rig, overseas, other name given is extremely common, and he's asking for money. That same email add Scam artists like to use names that work backward and forward, and I did find reported scams using the name David Markson.https://www.scamwarners.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=37491 If you click this link, you'll see dozens of other times the same scam has been used on people. Do not send him a penny. The bot***** *****ne is that there's never any reason to send money to someone you meet online, and if they're really interested in you, they won't ask you to. If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.