Law Educator, Esq., Consultant
Experience:  24+ years law enforcement. Licensed Attorney.
10285032

I am a physician and my previous partner whom I separated from

Customer Question

I am a physician and my previous partner whom I separated from on 1/1/15 is sending bills with my business name on it to my patients up to 4/17/15 for services that I rendered
Patients feel misled and are leavng the practice because of this
How do I stop him and I want to report him. What is the next step.
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
This would be considered fraud and attempted theft. So you could report it to the police, first and foremost and it is up to their discretion as to whether or not to refer it to the DA or tell you this is a civil matter that they do not want to take action in.
Also, you need to send him a cease and desist letter informing him clearly he has no right to do this. In addition you need to send a simple post card mailing to all of your patients informing them very briefly that if they receive any such bill to please call your office immediately before making any payments.
Additionally, the conduct violates the physician ethics rules so you can file a complaint against him with the medical board.
Finally, you can file suit against him for any damages he is causing your practice by his tortious interference with your contractual relations and theft/conversion (if he has collected from any patient) of your patients and fees for services you performed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks so much
I very much appreciate it
Thank you for your reply.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback as the experts are not employees of this site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless the customer leaves positive feedback. Thank you.