Loren, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney/Hearing Officer
17897874

Supposed American citizen in Ghana want to come home says passport

Customer Question

Supposed American citizen in Ghana want to come home says passport need to be renewed, then says she needs medical
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for using JustAnswer. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I will do whatever I can to answer your question.
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
Good morning. Are you online with me?
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
Have you ever met in person? Are you being asked to send money?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hi iam here
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
never met and yes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
Good morning. Sorry for the delay.
This is a very common internet scam. There is no particular difficulty for a US citizen to obtain a passport overseas. They can obtain one relatively easily from any US embassy or consulate. Even if there is some sort of question, the consulate can issue a temporary passport to allow the citizen entry into the US to try to resolve whatever issue has arisen.
As far as a medical exam, that is ludicrous. No US citizen would be required to have a medical exam at their expense to re-enter the US. Just recently they flew back someone with ebola for treatment here. Ebola is one of the most dangerous contagions known.
Whoever you are communicating with is a criminal trying to steal from you.
Do not, under any circumstances, send money.
You can report this online to the FBI at www.IC3.gov.
I realize this is probably not the answer you were hoping to receive. Also, please remember that this is not necessarily a moral judgement on my part. As a professional, however, I am sometimes placed in the position of having to deliver news which is not favorable to a customer's legal position, but accurately reflects their position under the law. I hate it, but it happens and I only ask that you not penalize me with a bad or poor rating for having to deliver less than favorable news.
Best regards.
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
Did you have any further questions before you rate my answer?