Zoey_JD
Zoey_JD, Criminal attorney
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
18321761

Wynpost financial in London England sent a letter regarding

Customer Question

Wynpost financial in London England sent a letter regarding winnings in international lotteries.
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 1 year ago.
Hi Jacustomer,

This is a scam. In the first place you live in the US where it is illegal to purchase a foreign lottery ticket online. And if you never purchased a ticket, you cannot possibly win a lottery. Lottery winners are paid with the proceeds from lottery ticket sales, so they are open only to people who have purchased tickets. The only way an American can win a UK lottery is by buying the ticket in the UK and lucking out when the winning numbers are drawn.

Secondly, all legitimate UK companies are required to register with Companies House, the government agency that keeps the business reports and annual tax filings for every company in the UK. Companies House has an online public searchable registry, and there is no such business as Wynpost Financial in London or anywhere else in the UK either.

This letter is just phishing for your personal information to commit identity theft down the road and to take as much of your money as you will be willing to give them to collect your non existent winnings.

Normally such letters contain a check which they will tell you to deposit and draw out against and ask you to wire some of the proceeds to a third party. The check will turn out to be counterfeit But sometimes, they just ask you to contact the for details of the win.

If you contact then to try to claim your prize prize, they will tell you that the money is yours but first you will have to pre pay certain expenses to get it. That NEVER would happen in any legitimate contest. You don't have to pre-pay anything to collect a bona fide award.

Anytime you get a surprise message from a stranger or business with whom you have never dealt, promising you something that is too good to be true but requiring you to send anybody money to collect it, it's a scam. It doesn't matter what they say the money is for, or whether the amount of money they want from you is big or small. There is just no exception to this.

We all get sent these phony promises by mail, email, text messages and phone calls giving us too good to be true news. This site will tell you everything you would need to know to avoid a contest scam. (See link)

Here are the things you must try to remember whenever you get a surprise notice that you're about to become a wealthy person:

-- If you never bought a lottery or a sweepstakes ticket or entered a contest in the first place, there's no way you can win it. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. There is no exception. Winners aren't chosen at random from all the names in the world, all of the email addresses in the world or all of the mobile phone numbers in the world. You always have to enter a contest in order to win. That's the law. Lotteries and sweepstakes are government regulated and must comply with that.

-- International lotteries are illegal in the US. If you didn't travel outside of the country to enter the contest, you can't win it.

-- No legitimate lottery or sweepstakes makes you pay them anything in order for you to collect your winnings. There is NEVER a legitimate reason to pay for a prize that's supposedly already yours. I don't care how reasonable the excuse is. A legitimate business will deduct any transfer fees or expenses on their end and send you the balance, free and clear, with no strings attached. If a prize is really yours, you don't have to pay one red cent to collect it. If there's a charge, it's a scam.

- Any contest that sends you a partial check and asks you to send some part of it back to cover contest costs ia also a scam. There is never an exception to this either. The only reason for that extra step is that they really have no money for you at all. Otherwise, if they can pay you, they can pay their other creditors as well That check will bounce and you will be responsible for the overdraft to your bank.

-- Any unsolicited offer asking you to send money by wire outside of the country is a fraud. Wire transfers abroad are instant, irreversible and untraceable. NEVER send a wire to anyone unless you have met them in person and know them very well.

I am sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The letter did not ask for any money. They said they will deduct a clearance fee from the winnings and forward a certified check to my address.

I have been playing the lottery games related to PCH Sweepstakes and thought they may be related. What do you think? They list a phone number of 011-44-XXX-XXX-XXXX. Can you get any more information?

Thanks

Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 1 year ago.
PCH Sweepstakes is Publisher's Clearinghouse. It is a US contest that is only open to US entrants. The companies are not related, and as I have told you there's no such company in the UK and no way you can enter a UK lottery except from within the UK.

Please give me the phone number again but this time spell out the numbers after the "44" That way our site's privacy software won't redact the number and X everything out, which it has. Presently I cannot read it.

They are going to ask for money or send you a partial check. First they just want to know they have a live fish on the hook.