Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience
2499435

I am trying to get the air conditioning working on my 1999

Hello, I am trying to get the air conditioning working on my 1999 ford ranger.
JA: How long has this been an issue? How many miles are on the car?
Customer: It has not worked about 1 year. there is 405, 000 mi.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no

HEllo, what have you already trued?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I have put a new pump on but it will not take refrigerant, the clutch will not in gage by its self, but it will if I jump it. I checked the relay it is good, I even switched the relays around just incase. I checked the power going to the relay and there is none. When I checked the other relays they had power.

How much freon did you put in?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I started to put 1 14 ounce can but it would not take it. I guess because the pump is not turning over. What about the power going to the relay, should there be power there?

THere should be once the ac controller has comanded. What size engine do you have?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
4.0

Did you check the 10 amp fuse for ac clutch in the under hood fuse box.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
that fuse is good.

Ok, did you check the refrigrant pressure switch on the reciever /dryer?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
No, how do you check that?
You can jump both the pins and see if the Ac compressor kicks on. If it does and freon is good that means you have a bad switch
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
OK, I did that and it does not kick on, but when I jump the 2 wires on the pump it will kick on.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose). I'm here to help 365 days a year, but not every hour of the day. I try to prevent delays as much as possible. Please understand I am not there and can only advise based on what you tell me. Let's get started.

Would you like me to help?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Hello, I am trying to get the air working on my 1999 ranger 4.0 there is no power going to the relay.

Here is your wire diagram. https://www.dropbox.com/s/gn8twcml0owj5xr/40AC.pdf?dl=0

The PCM needs to see a ground from both pressure switches. At the cycling pressure switch is the black/yellow wire grounded, tested while plugged up?

The PCM needs to see a power on the violet wire from the HVAC when AC is commanded on. Check that at the HVAC or PCM.

Once the PCM gets these inputs it will provide power and ground to the WOT relay to energize it.

Did you pull a vacuum on the system prior to attempting to refill with freon?

Please make sure to rate my answer prior to logging off, as this is how I get credit for helping you. If you have not yet received 5 star excellent service from me. Please follow up so you get everything from me that you expected from the deposit you have already paid, which I get nothing of till you rate me. Rating does not close the post nor prevent replying at a later date.

Thanks Moose

Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience: 16 years experience

Hello Chris here again,

I am checking in to make sure you got everything you expected from my answer. If not please reply so we can resolve your issue together.

Thanks Chris

Customer: replied 2 days ago.
Hello Moose, thank you for responding, I clicked on the link but some how it got deleted, can you send it to me again? Thank you.
Customer: replied 2 days ago.
Hello Chris, I checked the black/yellow wire at the cycling pressure switch, it is grounded. I checked the violet wire at the pcm with the ac on, there is no power there. I did not pull a vacuum on the system prior to the refill, is it possible the system is over charge and that is why it is not working?

The link expired because the post was never rated and timed out. Once rated I can get another link back active. Check the violet wire at the HVAC to see if it not powering up with the AC commanded on. If not then the HVAC controller is bad.