david craig
david craig, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  owner/mechanic at 3D Automotive
4993992

My 2012 Ford Fusion 'stalled' as I drove home today. I had

My 2012 Ford Fusion 'stalled' as I drove home today. I had just enough power to pull over. It started again within a few minutes. I was panning to drive from Winnipeg to Minneapolis this weekend but am now very nervous because I've read about about problems with the electronic throttle body problems. What should I do?
JA: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?
Customer: Yes
JA: Are you fixing your Fusion yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No, I don't know anything about car engines. Need to know if I should contact Ford or just get it checked out by my local garage.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I want to know if my problem sounds like the reported Electronic Throttle problems.

Hi Im David, thanks for visiting the site. Is the check engine light on?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The battery light and the oil light were on when I finally looked at the dash. I was busy navigating safely to the side of the road and didn't notice whether the check engine light was on. The car was serviced about six weeks ago and the battery and everything else was fine then.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks.

ok, this sounds like you have a bad alternator. if the alternator isnt charging the battery the vehicle will keep stalling every few minutes.

do you have a volt meter?

if you have a volt meter. start the vehicle and check the voltage at the battery. if its not between 14.1-14.4 vdc the alternator is not doing its job and must be replaced.

you may want to check the highlighted fuse also

location of the fuse

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I'VE BEEN LOOKING AT THE FORD RECALLS ON THEIR WEBSITE. THERE WAS A FIELD SERVICE ACTION #13N03 'ELECTRONIC THROTTLE BODY EXTENDED COVERAGE'. I'M GOING TO PHONE MY DEALER TOMORROW AND ASK ABOUT IT. THANKS FOR YOUR HELP.

ok, but if there was there check engine light on, thats probably not it. but we'll see. please accept the answer and leave a 5 star rating for me if you were satisfied with my assistance. just remember, by accepting the answer and leaving a rating doesnt mean we are done. im here to help you until the vehicle is fixed.

good luck