Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

1994 Ford Thunderbird dropoutof overdrive. Complete trans

Customer Question

1994 Ford Thunderbird dropoutof overdrive. Complete trans overhaul by reputable shop. no codes.
JA: Just to clarify, what's the exact code? And have you tried to reset it?
Customer: Can reset PCM but can't get any useful codes
JA: Are you fixing your Thunderbird yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes. I have replaced all oxygen sensors. no change. mechanic changed plugs. wires are good..no problem starting. eplaced
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: yes. mechanic replaced left catylytic converter, electric coolingfan, etc, still, dropout when shifts to 4th gear occccverdrive..
Submitted: 8 days ago.
Category: Ford
Expert:  roy replied 8 days ago.

hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be glad to assist you. please allow me a couple of minutes to gather some basic info.

Roy

Expert:  roy replied 8 days ago.

ok

all the parts that were replaced have nothing to do with falling out of overdrive.

when you mean falling out, does that means it goes into neutral or fall back into a lower gear???

Roy

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Roy, here is my problem. The car moves forward normally. Shifts through all gears smoothly. Goes into overdrive. continues normally . will go into cruise control. at some unexpected time, the overdrive drops out, the transmission is not connected the Tachometer will increase reading into some highjer reading. when I take foot off accelerator it will eventually go back to normal and may continue noprmally for some time.. None of my actions has found the problem. I have formed an qpinon and believ there is one of three possibilities>
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
no. I want a good answer from an expert.
Expert:  roy replied 8 days ago.

the fact it neutrals out is internal in the trans.

could be the overdrive clutches behind the converter.

could be the piston for applying them

ok, I am a good one but if you want to give up after one response, you got it.

have a great day

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Roy, I had the 4R70 transmission completely ovcerhauled. As I tried to convey, the Transmission people claim there is no fault in the overha uled transmission., and state I have a driveability problem. As you may know, the lockup valve is located inside the transmission. The signal to lock up the overdrive is generated outside th transmission. I think my peoblem is inherent in The POWER Control Module because it provides ALL functions from sensors , in this case the ou tput speed sensor and the Speed control sensor.?
Expert:  roy replied 8 days ago.

I disagree. if it neutrals out, as you said it did, that is a internal control issue. it should have downshifted into a lower gear.

it could be a valve body issue but needs to be checked.

the ecm in obd1 systems is not that smart as the newer obd 2 systems.

you can change the ecm but I doubt that is your issue. it sounds more of a mechanical issue not a electronic issue. the trans may have been overhauled but it does not mean that everything is good.

Roy

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Roy, I am sorry. I don'tnow if the tarns doenshifted. iT MAY HAVE. The 1994Ford Thunderbird was provided with a EECV5,OBD2 , emissions system. I have the EEC5 OBD 2 Ford Manual on hand. I have read it. I don't haqve the specislized test equipment for d dealers were provided. Guess what, none of these current mechanics are familiar with my problem.
Expert:  roy replied 8 days ago.

you never told me this. I need info that is accurate and it is mandatory in order for me to help.

we have gone in the wrong direction from the start as you never gave me all the needed info.

I hope you get your answer. I need complete and accurate info in order to help.

have a great day

Roy

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Okay, Roy. I apologize for any misunderstanding. I aam requesting to be removed from youir subscription service asap.
Expert:  roy replied 8 days ago.

you can contact customer service. they will assist you