George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech 15+ Years
13574682

I have a 2010 f150. When I start the truck, then lower the

Customer Question

I have a 2010 f150. When I start the truck, then lower the steering wheel, it kills the engine. Only the red pats light remains until I move the steering wheel to the upright position again.
JA: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?
Customer: The red anti theft light
JA: Are you fixing your F150 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I have tried lowering the wheel and slowly moving back up until the dash lights come on again. I do not hear anything like a short wire or actuater bar like it's broke. The key clicks so I don't believe it's those parts. I have also tried starting in the lowest position with the remote start. The truck starts but when the key is inserted and moved to the on position. The truck dies and all lights on the dash are out again except the anti theft light.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I think that is it.
Submitted: 11 days ago.
Category: Ford
Expert:  George H. replied 11 days ago.

Hello I will help,

Sounds like the wire harness to the ignition switch is loose due to raising and lowering the steering wheel. Removing the shroud around the column and inspecting the connection should reveal the problem.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Why would the truck start without a key then? I.e. Remote start?
Expert:  George H. replied 11 days ago.

Yes, the key in detection is what is showing the pats symbol. If you are raising the wheel then lowering it each time it certainly has loosened the harness. It may be the whole connector or a single wire but it is in the column.

Let me know if you have further questions, if nothing further please complete the rating

Thank you

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Before I tear this apart. Please explain how a lose harness would allow the truck to start with the wheel down with remote start. Then when the key is inserted then moved to the on position kill the engine?
Expert:  George H. replied 11 days ago.

The evidence is that you can raise and lower the wheel to cause/remedy this. That tells me you have a loose connection in the column which affects the key detection.