Jeremy
Jeremy, Certified Diesel Technician/Electrician
Experience:  ASE, NATEF Engines and Electrical certified, EPA 608/609
9290743

Starts and then dies periodically. Cant drive just off of

Customer Question

Starts and then dies periodically. Cant drive just off of idle.. wants to either idle or go faster. just off of idle the throttle cuts in and out. my guess is pedal assembly.
JA: How many miles are on the car? What size is the engine?
Customer: 316,000 7.3 power stroke
JA: What is the model/year of your Ford?
Customer: 02
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes. nothing just now reserching
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 11 days ago.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Jeremy replied 11 days ago.

My name is ***** ***** I will assist you with your question today.

I'm an independent contractor and I don't get paid until a rating has been made.

We can go back and forth as needed to help resolve the issue you are having. Follow ups are free after ratings, so rate in confidence!

Are you getting a check engine light? Sometimes whe nthe TPS is acting up like that with dead spots in it, it will code out.

You can swap a new TPS in which is 2 screws and a plug on the side of the pedal or you can test it with a ohm meter. If you want to test with a ohm meter, unplug it, set to ohms, touch pin 1 and pin 2, then as you slowly press the pedal, watch the numbers. If at anytime you see OL anywhere, the TPS is bad.

Rule that out since it is the most common for that issue you have. If it remains, then I suggest checking the oil if you haven't changed it in awhile and then if you have a scanner that can see the live data, see what the ICP is showing for pressure to make sure the IPR isn't acting up on you. The IPR can have trash in it or it can be acting up and causing that spool valve to stick and overfuel/underfuel the engine making it act like a TPS.

_______________________________________________________________________________

You want a 5 star service and I want to provide a 5 star service. Please consider that I don't know your skill level as well as I can't see, touch, smell, hear the vehicle/machine in question. Please provide as much detail as possible and I will provide as much back.

Once an answer is provided, you should see a rating screen. Please rate my personal service to you. The ratings are my personal feedback, they are not the site feedback.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you through Just Answer!

Jeremy