Master Auto Tech.
Master Auto Tech., master tech.
Experience:  A.S.E. Master technician. Over 20 years working on import & domestic. Owner/operator of an auto shop
17920890

08 f150 98000 miles can phaser advaced about 60 degrees on

Customer Question

08 f150 98000 miles can phaser advaced about 60 degrees on bank 1 normal on bank 2 about 10 degrees another tech replaced valve cover gaskets spark plugs and truck came back runing bad with codes set for bank one timing sorry will give codes next post I'm home and can't sleep because of this truck. Well let me continue. He changed the timing chain and tensioners vct solenoids phaser on bank 1 cam sensors and pig tails and then quit. Now it's my nightmare oh truck never ran bad before he
Submitted: 4 days ago.
Category: Ford
Expert:  david craig replied 4 days ago.

Hi Im David, thanks for visiting the site. Is this a 5.4 3V?

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
it is

Oh boy, what are your codes?

http://gotaclassaction.com/ford-sued-over-latent-defects-in-vehicles-equipped-with-the-5-4l-engine/

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Po340,p0012

ok. give me a few minutes

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
ok thank you
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
just let you know I took it all back apart and retimed it to make sure that the timing was correct

Ive had 3 in my shop in the past 2 years and was only able to fix 1 at a cost of 4200.00

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Wow this is a problem that we have caused and I'm coming in on the job after the tech quit

have you done any diagnostics yet?

sorry they are not in order. anyways, thats only 1/4 of the steps for P0340....Do you have this information or do you need it?

there is no definitive fix. I did everything already that been done. triple checked the timing, replaced everything, replaced 2 burnt valves, all the rockers, lifters, solenoids.......

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Just finish reading all the attachments that you sent me I've already done all that I consider my self a a tech I'm done all my scopes all my resistance test up to the pcm

I figured you did thats why I asked.

sure you have the correct part number for bank 1 phaser? if so, aftermarket or oem?

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Dorman

I would get one from ford my friend. The one I actually was able to fix I had used all ford parts.

the other 2 customers didnt have the money.

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
But he had a running problem after the first time he worked on it and the decided to open the engine up and replace all these parts
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
I will talk later have to get back to work and fix other cars this one has gotten me very far behind on my other work

Ok, in the meantime I will go over my records of the truck I was able to fix

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
ok
b
Expert:  Master Auto Tech. replied 3 days ago.
I'm sorry you are having problems with your vehicle. I will try to help.I'm a full time mechanic and have been a mechanic for over 20 yrs and I work part-time here on JustAnswer to help you and others repair their own vehicles, and I get credited by your ratings.. So before leaving the site make sure and leave me a rating. You can still reply to me as many times as neeed, even after the rating.. I will need for you to be my hands and eyes since I'm not there.So does the engine idle rough and run rough?I strive to provide 5 star service. If I have satisfactorily answered your question please rate it as such and hit submit. Doing so is the only way I get compensated for my time. Also it doesn't close the discussion so we will still be able to communicate if there are further questions.
Thanks
Sonny
Try and check this.
1. Backprobe the Violet/Light Blue (VT/LB) wire at the Variable Camshaft Timing (VCT) solenoid on the passenger side cylinder head with a jumper wire.2. Start the engine and while holding the engine RPM at 1500-2000 RPM, hold the VT/LB wire to ground through the jumper wire for 1-2 second intervals. The engine RPM should react to the grounding and release of the jumper wire as it forces a change in camshaft timing. Repeat the grounding and release of this circuit 20-30 times to flush engine oil through the actuator and camshaft gear assembly. Then, recheck the engine idle quality.3. If the gear and solenoid flush technique is performed and the engine runs better, change the engine oil and release the vehicle back into service to see how well it performs over the next several weeks of operation.4. If the engine still runs poorly, the camshaft timing of the passenger side chain cassette will need to be checked for proper alignment.5. If the chain is out of time, service the chain cassette, gears and tensioner assembly as necessary.6. If the chain timing is found to be correct, replace the VCT actuator and camshaft gear assembly as necessary

are you still needing help with this?

Customer: replied 2 days ago.
Expert:  Master Auto Tech. replied 2 days ago.
1. Cam codes such as these, usually suggest either the timing chain is off by one or more teeth, or that a bank(s) has incorrect oil flow for the variable cam timing system. In the case of an engine rattle as well, it is likely either the cam phaser is damaged, or there is an oil flow problem to the phaser and tensioner.2. Before beginning variable cam timing tests, it is important to warn your customer that variable cam timing concerns on this engine can be a very expensive repair. In many cases, the internal passages feeding the phaser or the tensioner will be plugged with debris, getting this debris out can be extremely difficult and sometimes results in the need for a new engine. Informing the customer of this possibility before extensive diagnosis and repair attempts is recommended.3. To start diagnosis, run engine at hot idle, when the engine is running poorly, backprobe a ground wire into the variable camshaft solenoids (located at the top of each valve cover) at the following wires, one at a time. Only tap the ground to the wire briefly.a. Driver's side, White/Orange wire.b. Passenger side, Violet wire.4. If tapping a ground to either solenoid resolves the concern, the solenoid was stuck open either because of debris stuck in the solenoid, or because the solenoid itself was stuck.5. If the concern is still present, unplug both solenoid connectors, if the engine now runs smoothly, suspect circuit faults between the solenoids and the PCM. Note, these solenoids should only be actuated off idle similar to an EGR valve.6. If the concern is still present with the solenoids unplugged, install a lab scope with at least two channels on the camshaft position sensors (located on the timing cover, one on each side). Install the positive leads at the following wires, install the negative lead to ground.a. Driver's side, Green/Violet wire.b. Passenger side, Brown/Blue wire.7. Now start the engine, the waveforms should be in exact sync with each other, if one wave form is even slightly out of sync with the other, either the chain has jumped, the sensor is faulty, or there is a concern with the phaser assembly. A code P0012 suggests a problem on the passenger side bank, P0022 suggests the problem is on the driver side bank.8. To rule out a sensor problem, simply swap the sensors bank to bank, if the concern follows the sensor, replace the affected sensor.9. If the sensor is OK, you will now have to begin determining if this is a phaser concern or a timing chain problem.10. A phaser that is over-retarded at idle can either be a hydraulic or a mechanical failure. First, swap the solenoids bank to bank, if the concern follows the solenoid, then replace the affected solenoid.11. If the fault is still present on the same bank, then the timing cover should be removed at this point for removal and inspection of the variable cam timing components.12. First remove the phaser and inspect for broken trigger, bent trigger, damaged return spring. Replace as necessary. While phaser is removed, inspect the phaser bolt orifice for blockage, clean and replace as necessary.13. Next remove the solenoid valve body, inspect all orifices for blockage, clean as necessary.14. If all orifices are OK, reassemble, verify proper chain timing. Restart the engine, if the concern is still present, suspect plugged orifices as discussed in step 2.