Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

I have a 2004 F150 which keeps draining the battery. I have

Customer Question

I have a 2004 F150 which keeps draining the battery. I have replaced the terminals on the battery connector and have brought a new battery. Checked to see if anything else in the truck was on or running, nothing. Have had three mechanics look at it but no one can figure out why it keeps draining the battery. Can't sale the truck if I can't never keep it running plus I don't want to put the problem on a new owner.
JA: Have you tested the battery with a voltmeter? And can you see if it's leaking or not?
Customer: When we charge the new battery in the truck and then go to crank the truck the next day it's dead.
JA: Are you fixing your F150 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I have cleaned both connectors, put new connectors on the truck, checked every wire to make sure it wasn't draining from anywhere, and have had three mechanics look at it but no one can't explain why it keeps draining a new battery to where I can't keep the truck crank. It even has a new motor in it.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I'm at a dead still not knowing what to do and I want to get it running without putting the problem on a new owner. I have put to much money in getting this truck running and still having problem.
Submitted: 8 days ago.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Reggie Whiddon replied 8 days ago.

Hi im Reggie thanks for using JustAnswer. Put my years of experience and training to work for you

Hello sorry to hear of your problem it does sound like you have a parasitic draw. To check this we will need a voltmeter that will read amperage and in the milliamp range do you have this

With the negative cable disconnected the amp meter will need to be hooked up in series between the negative battery post and the negative battery terminal this will allow us to take a reading of the exact amount of current the draw is consuming and we can begin isolating circuits by removing fuses while monitoring the amount of current once the draw goes away we will know which circuit by which fuse we have pulled

An alternator can be the source of your drain even though it is charging if the diode fails another common problem is a door jamb switch sticking and causing the gem module to stay alive because it is tricked into thinking the door open or the gem module itself could be faulty.

I am more than happy to help you with a phone call and can walk you through this test it looks like its waiting on your payment.

Do you have a ammeter available?