Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

I have a 2005 5.4 3v I just did a timing chain job on it 2

Customer Question

I have a 2005 5.4 3v I just did a timing chain job on it 2 months ago. I changed phasers, chains, tensioners, guides, solenoids, lifters, rocker arms, and the oil pump. Now its back with similar symptoms as it had earlier because of low oil pressure I dropped the pan and cleaned the sump , there was some bits of plastic from a previously broken guide stuck up in it. While I had the pan down I checked the bearings rod and mains and since some were a bit scoured I changed them all.
JA: How old is your oil pump? Has the check engine light come on?
Customer: I changed it with the timing chain job 2 months ago. I didn't finish the story though, I put it all back together and the pressure was significantly better cold , it went from 40 to 60 psi but once it warms up its back down to about 12. And yes the check engine light comes back on after the phasers start rattling which happens after the engine warms up and the oil pressure drops.
JA: What is the model of your '05 Ford?
Customer: Its a 150.
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I already typed what I did to it. My next step is to put air pressure to the oil system and check for leaks if I can't find any pull the pump again and check it out . Am I missing something? Any suggestions?
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: That out be about enough to start on.
Submitted: 10 days ago.
Category: Ford
Expert:  david craig replied 10 days ago.

Hi Im David, thanks for visiting the site. You arent missing a thing. This engine is a nightmare, ans is the cause of a class action lawsuit that was filed in 2010 for 04-08 5.4 3V engine. I have had 3 in my shop in the past 2 years and as able to fix 1.

http://www.carcomplaints.com/news/2015/ford-lawsuit-engine-problems-2004-2008.shtml

http://gotaclassaction.com/ford-sued-over-latent-defects-in-vehicles-equipped-with-the-5-4l-engine/

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
What I'm looking for is some info on where oil can be getting away , other than the bearings and chain tensioner seals which I already took care of. Or have you ever seen the oil pressure relief valve stick open on a new pump ?
Expert:  david craig replied 8 days ago.

Ive never seen the valve stick. the vct solenoid screens can be blocked also.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
But the oil pressure is low at the pressure sensor, it isn't just low pressure to the phasers.

you did a pressure test?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Absolutely, before I changed the bearings it was 40 psi cold and below ten warm, with new bearings it came up to 60 cold and about 12 warm.

darn. I tell you what, Im going to open this up to see if anyone has ever seen the valve stick. good luck

Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 8 days ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose). I'm here to help 365 days a year, but not every hour of the day. I try to prevent delays as much as possible. Please understand I am not there and can only advise based on what you tell me. Let's get started.

Would you like my help?