Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.
14928985

I have a ford 1992 ford pickup that won't start after

Customer Question

I have a ford 1992 ford pickup that won't start after sitting over night without putting gas in the breather hose. I have replaced all the injectors in the 302 engine, replaced all the relays pertaing to the fuel system. It has 42# ***** pressure in the fuel line when you turn the key on. After cranking the first thing in the morning with the use of fuel you can start it all day without anymore added fuel. I need to know why it wont start after sitting all night without help.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Pete replied 1 month ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

This sounds like the common fault with a lack of fuel.The lack of fuel can be because of a restricted fuel filter,weak fuel pump,amperage issues with power into the pump or even in some cases an engine coolant temp sensor sending a false signal.

When an engine is cold it needs max fuel pressure and volume to start.If there is a weak pump or restricted fuel filter this can cause issues.You may still see the correct fuel pressure (your engines range is between 35 and 45 psi when key on) but you may not have enough fuel volume from the pump or due to a restricted fuel filter.Once started though it will start and run no problems the rest of the day.

The most common cause here is a restricted fuel filter or weak fuel pump.If you havent replaced the filter I would remove it and try and blow through the feed side and if it is hard to blow through then the filter needs replaced then re check the operation.If the filter doesnt correct it then I would have the fuel volume tested to verify the pump needs replaced and the engine coolant temp sensor signal tested with a multi meter to make sure it is o.k. as well.You can have fuel pressure and low volume at the same time.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Pete are you there I had to leave for a while but am back now.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Send me an e-mail tomorrow and we will talk more I took the filter off and blew through it and it was clear I need to talk some more about the situation. Thanks, LARRY
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Pete; I am online now if you are available about the 1992 ford 150 fuel problem. Larry
Expert:  Pete replied 1 month ago.

I apologize for the delay.

I am here just reply when your ready.

Thanks Pete