Jaybird61
Jaybird61, ASE Certified Master Technician
Experience:  Automotive Instructor at Palm Beach State College
93113249

I recently bought a used 2005 ranger 4x4 with a 4.0L engine

Customer Question

I recently bought a used 2005 ranger 4x4 with a 4.0L engine and 5-sp.. I'm looking at the front wheel covers, and I don't see a "lock/unock hub switch, and i see nothing in the owners manual about operating the automatic hubs as I had on the 99 ranger 4x4 I wrecked last month that caused me to search for a replacement. Since i wrecked the 99, the insurance company salvaged it and I donit recall the instructions. Seems like it was something like:
JA: Is this your first time dealing with this issue?
Customer: Yes.
JA: Are you fixing your Ranger yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I"m not doing anything, I'
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I wonder if there even are locking hubs installed on the truck. Is there a way to tell?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Jaybird61 replied 2 months ago.

Hi, My name is***** you look on the drivers sun visor you should see directions for operating the*****of your vehicle. If you do not see any locking hubs then you do not have to lock and unlock hubs on your truck. The*****system locks and unlocks through the front axle has a valve the locks and unlocks the*****for you to lock the axle in to 4x4. All you have to do is push a button.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
There are no such instructions on the visor as you suggest, and I've already noted that the owners manual is silent about the issue. Perhaps I should go to the local Ford dealer and ask the salesmen what to do.

What questions do you have on the system? I have been a master Ford Mechanic for many years.