Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

My Ford F-250 power stroke will not start my rpm gauge does

Customer Question

Hello my Ford F-250 power stroke will not start my rpm gauge does not move at all. I have replaced the cam shaft sensor and it still will not start. It sounds normal when I am cranking it but it won't start.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ron replied 1 month ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today. Give me just a moment to review your post, and I'll be right back with the help you need.

Expert:  Ron replied 1 month ago.

What year is this your working on please?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It's 1999
Expert:  Ron replied 1 month ago.

Have you scanned the system to see if there are any fault codes setting?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No sir I have not
Expert:  Ron replied 1 month ago.

Okay doing so would be a good idea to help determine whats going on here. That being said the tachometer gets its signal from the crankshaft position sensor located in the block behind the compressor and its common for them to fail but you will usually get a code indicating a failing Crankshaft position sensor.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Okay thank you sir l will go get one now. Can I come back to this page later and ask you something if I have a question?
Expert:  Ron replied 1 month ago.

With out checking for fault codes its a bit of a gamble but for the price of a new one its sure a good chance that will solve the problem as well. See the location and removal steps in the link below as well. Have a look and let me know if you have more questions and or need more help .

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/Crankshaft%20position%20sensor%20Jan%2028.pdf