Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience
2499435

Door Ajar, lights and cigarette light ports all seem to be

Door Ajar, lights and cigarette light ports all seem to be interconnected to some sort of random electric issue in my 2003 Expedition
JA: Have you checked the fuses? Have you checked the door switches?
Customer: I've replaced all 4 of the door jam sensors already And the rear hatch sensor
JA: Are you fixing your Expedition yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Been working w a local auto shop and trying to figure it out on my own.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: They had it the last for days. They thought it was fixed. Pulled it out of the garage bay, hit one bump and parked it. While sitting still had the door ajar chiming off and on lights going off and on.. and having an iPhone plugged into any of the charging ports In the vehicle resulted in the power cycling off and on randomly
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I checked the wiring looms in the passenger doors, drivers front doors, and the security control model. All the connections were in good shape. Didn't find any bare wire

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose), my normal schedule online is around lunch and after dinner till early morning.

Which door is showing ajar?

With the iphone plugged in, what is powering on and off?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
That's the problem. The 03 doesn't have an indicator as to which door is ajar besides say hatch or door. I open and close all doors... no difference. Still keeps flickering on and off rapidly that the door is ajar. 5then it will randomly stop for a minute or two and do it again at random times. You may go 2 min or 10 min. The vehicle can be parked and the interior lights will randomly come on and go off with no one in the vehicle. For the cigarette lighters/ power plugs, using a USB charger, the power cycles off and on every 2-3 seconds. It happens an all the plugs on the front console

A scan tool can be used to see which door as well as a volt meter. Do you have either of these tools?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
If you mean a scanner to check codes, there are no codes being put out.Is there a central control where both the door chime sensors, interior lights, and cigarette light ports all connect into?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I do not have a working volt meter. The leads went bad on mine. !need to get a new one
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
what's next??

No you will not be checking codes. You will be checking to see which doors are showing open.

Since your scan tool sill not do what is needed, then a new voltmeter needs to be purchased to see which sensor is sending ground to hte VSM using the diagram below.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/90220402/doorajar.pdf

Can you monitor fuses 39 and 41 for the power points and let me know if they too are losing voltage?

Please read this:

1. Understand it's not one answer and done. We can communicate back and forth many times.
  2. I do not work at or for Just Answer. You and I can only communicate on this page.
  3. When you're pleased or happy with my answer or efforts to help you. At the top of the screen please rate me or reply and say ( I'm pleased.)
  4. When I help you I am only paid from your question value deposit when you rate me on this screen. Rating does not close the post and you're more than welcome to follow up.

Thanks for using Just Answer, Chris

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok new leads and tested the fuses you requested. There was no noticeable fluctuations showing when testing the door jam sensors. How do you recommend testing the fuse locations?

Were you getting a door ajar warning when doing the tests? If so but none were showing ajar then the VSM is faulty.

You test the fuse by touching the test pins on there face with a red volt meter lead.

Hello again Chris here,

1. I have to assume you were not pleased with my help, because you have not replied or rated the post.
  2. What would you like to do regarding your question now?
  3. Do you still need help? Please reply I want you to get equal to or more than what you paid for.
  4. This post is coming up on the 7 day mark where it times out. That can prevent me from being able to post answers to your replies.

Thanks Chris

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
the problem ended up being behind the fuse block. Corrosion on the wire connect to the door ajar chimes

Glad you found the issue. Hopefully my wire diagram assisted you.