Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

I have a 1998 ford explorer that has broken down on me. Its

Customer Question

I have a 1998 ford explorer that has broken down on me. Its not getting any fuel, or enough to actual idle by itself, it was running fine, check engine light has been on for a while and code p0171 shoowing, i filled it full of gas, and headed to the rose parade, while on freeway actually desending down a hill the entire truck turned off but the dashboard was lit up still. i pulled over , waited a minute and then started it right back up. proceeded to the next exit. I sputtered as far as i can before calling aaa to come tow me home. it now sits in my driveway and i am in no position to take iot to a mechanic because first of all i had it towed to our desert cabin and i dont know of any mechanics out here in 29 palms, and i just dont have the funds. I have a code reader and tools. I replaced the fuel pump mechanizium 2 years ago, but ever since that the gas gauge has been freaky, never really telling me the truth. Out here my truck normally just sits but being that its the desert people do take gas out when they want or when im not at home, (dont know if that would be an issue) anyway can you give me some advise or at least help?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ron replied 2 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today. Give me just a moment to review your post, and I'll be right back with the help you need.

Expert:  Ron replied 2 months ago.

Val,

Are you able to connect a fuel pressure gauge to the fuel rail service port and read the actual fuel pressure?