Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.
14928985

Battery will not stay charged. Replaced alternator and

Customer Question

Battery will not stay charged. Replaced alternator and checked for shorted wires and everything is fine. Thought replacement alternator was faulty, so exchanged it for another, plus installed new battery, and car still will not stay charged.
JA: Have you checked all the fuses? Do you have a wiring diagram?
Customer: Yes, all fuses were checked, everything reads fine.
JA: What is the model/year of your Ford?
Customer: 2004 Ford Escape XLT 3.0
JA: Are you fixing your Escape yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Checked all fuses, replaced battery, alternator, and checked for faulty wiring.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: When wires from alternator are unplugged and then plugged back in, it charges for about 10 minutes, then kicks back out again.
Submitted: 11 days ago.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Pete replied 11 days ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Has anything after market been wired into your model at all with this issue here?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
No aftermarket parts known.
Expert:  Pete replied 11 days ago.

Are you saying you tested the output on the alternator and it actually charges above 12 volts but after 10 minutes it quits charging all together?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
after unplugging it and then plugging it back in.
Expert:  Pete replied 11 days ago.

O.k.,check fuse 11 in the battery junction box fuse panel and see if it is loose at all needing replaced.This sends the voltage signal to the alternator to charge.If the terminals are loose they will need replaced in the fuse panel or re shaped to be tight against this fuse.If the terminals and fuse are both o.k. then the wiring needs traced leading from the fuse panel to the alternator to look for any damaged wiring needing repaired.Any damaged wiring will cause this fault here needing repaired.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
The fuse checked out okay and so did the wiring. There is no obvious damage to the wiring and nothing looks corroded.
Expert:  Pete replied 11 days ago.

When the alternator is not charging do you have voltage at the black/yellow wire at the alternator itself?You should have around 12 volts DC.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Expert:  Pete replied 11 days ago.

Do you have battery voltage to the other wire at this plug?The light green/red wire?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
there is voltage.
Expert:  Pete replied 11 days ago.

And both of these voltages are present when the fault is occuring am I correct?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Correct
Expert:  Pete replied 11 days ago.

Are you testing for this charge voltage at the battery when you see no charge or at the back of the alternator?