HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans
Experience:  25 years Auto experience, Ford ,GM, Chrysler, Asian & European
285738

Ok so i was reading through a post had made with another. I

Customer Question

Ok so i was reading through a post brian had made with another. I have an 06 6.0 and have the p0046 code. I have no boost till at least 2500 rpm then boost shoots up and truck screams. Also running high egt's just cruising down the road 60. Any thoughts
JA: Just to clarify, what's the exact code? And have you tried to reset it?
Customer: P0046 and yes i cleared them today. I changed fuel filters and oil just to be sure those were good
JA: What is the model of your '06 Ford?
Customer: F250
JA: Are you fixing your F250 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes i am trying. Havent tried much cause there is so many different thoughts on this code
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not that i can think of. Can i have brian?
Category: Ford
Expert:  HDGENE replied 4 months ago.

Hello, and thank you for using Just Answer! My name is***** me a few moments to review your question and Ill do my best to assist you.

Expert:  HDGENE replied 4 months ago.

Hello, this code is indicating a fault with the VGT actuator solenoid that controls the variable turb boost operation. This would make sense in how you have no boost then lots of boost if this is having a malfunction. There is a pinpoint test requring the use of a multimeter(and preferably a scan tool) to actuate and monitor the solenoid for a circuit fault and the turbo operation. Its not unusual yo see the turbocharger jam up with carbon buildup and restrict its operation as well. If you have access to a scan tool and meter I can provide the pinpoint test.

Expert:  HDGENE replied 4 months ago.

Do you need more help with this concern?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I do not habe a scan tool but I do have a multimeter. I don't think it's carbon. I pull pretty regular and drive pretty hard all the time. Everybody has said that's the key lol.
Expert:  HDGENE replied 4 months ago.

True, but carbon buildup is the 6.0's biggest issue with the egr and turbocharger plugging up. The VGT actuator could be at fault, the test is written around using a scan tool but you can test the circuit and inspect for any wiring damage to the actuator or connector. If all looks ok, id replace the actuator and retest. click on the attachment to enlarge

Expert:  HDGENE replied 4 months ago.