A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, ASE Advanced Gasoline Engine Performance
14865528

I have a 2016 F450 Ranch Is there a way to make my running

Customer Question

I have a 2016 F450 King Ranch Is there a way to make my running lights stay on any time th etruck is running regaurdless of how bright it is outsidew?
JA: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?
Customer: Running lights, marker and tail lights
JA: Are you fixing your F450 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Tried to find a way in the manual and no luck...
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: That is it
Category: Ford
Expert:  A. Penland replied 5 months ago.

There is no way to have the running lights to come on anytime the key is turned on and the engine is running, besides of actually turning them on. There are several modules that control the lights, and also the BCM (Body Control Module), which is actually the dash fuse box. Each corner light has its own fuse and circuit for the BCM. Rewiring the circuits will cause trouble codes and module problems which can cause concerns with the lights down the road.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Are not running lights required in daytime in Califonia and a few other states? if so how is it done there?

Just the headlights, not the parking lights. And the daytime running lights are just a module which pulses voltage to the high beam circuit to illuminate the headlights.

Please do not confuse this with the auto lamps which turns all the outside lights on when the sunload sensor on the dash senses the sun light going away.