Dan, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Auto Technician
94707146

F 150 2006 170,000 plus miles Key will not turn in ignition

Customer Question

F 150 2006 170,000 plus miles Key will not turn in ignition This happens sporadically I have also tried the back up key which is in new condition due to not using it often
JA: Can you turn the steering wheel at all? And what about the key? Is it worn or damaged?
Customer: I was able to turn the wheel, but it is in locked position now I used the bck up key which is like new with the same results
JA: What is the make/model of your car?
Customer: Ford f150
JA: Are you fixing your F150 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: no Tried turning key several time sliding in and out
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 14 days ago.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Dan replied 14 days ago.

Hello, my name Dan. Thank you for using just answer. I am reviewing your question and will get back to you shortly. Thanks

Expert:  Dan replied 14 days ago.

I would start by replacing your ignition lock cylinder, you could also try cleaning it with wd 40.

Here is a link for the ignition lock http://amzn.to/2i3dVaD

Here is a link for repair procedures http://www.dropbox.com/s/zzg11ejq7zypw0u/ignition%20lock.pdf?dl=0

Please reply to this if you need more help and we can continue this conversation. This does not have to be my only answer. If you are satisfied with my service, please rate at the top of the screen. Rating does not close out your question. Remember, sometimes it is difficult to completely diagnose your vehicle without being there, but I will try to give you the best answer I can.

Please Rate 5 stars.

Thank you.