jim
jim, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  I have professionally been in the Automotive field for 30 years
25319281

I recently had oil change and repair to my cruise control.

Customer Question

I recently had oil change and repair to my cruise control. They first replaced the brake switch and said that did not fix and that the PCM needed replaced. Of course it turned out to be the highest price that they quoted for part. Two days later I am driving home on the highway and cruise turns off and motor stops. I still had power to fan and dash. I noticed battery light was on. I tried to restart but it would not. After about 20 minutes while waiting for tow truck I tried again and truck started.
JA: Have you tested the battery? Have you tried testing the alternator?
Customer: I drove for 20+ miles and it did it again only I noticed the oil can in display as well this time. I pulled over and truck started back immediately and I was able to drive to dealership another 15 miles. I have not but batteries were replaced this last year.
JA: What is the model of your '15 Ford?
Customer: 2010 Ford F250 Lariat Super Duty
JA: Are you fixing your F250 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: no just trying to do a bit of research prior to having conversation with dealership. Why all of sudden after I get truck back did this problem appear.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Ford
Expert:  jim replied 2 months ago.

If the PCM has been diagnosed as being bad and require replacement, this could very well be your problem. It is best to start by replacing a part that is known to be bad first. Some of the common things we also see causing this type of problems have been faulty crankshaft sensors.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
they did replace but could not explain how they knew it was bad. How do they test the PCM? Also, wouldn't looking at my vin and vehicle tell them exactly which PCM they needed. I was given the excuse they had to take the old one out to see which one was needed and once they did that they could not put it back in.
Expert:  jim replied 2 months ago.

That makes no sense that they could not put it back in. Was this done by a dealership or independent shop?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It was at my local Ford dealership
Expert:  jim replied 2 months ago.

Thats not good, you would think they would get it right the first time. There are so many possibilities without doing a complete diagnostic, it will be hard to isolate this issue. I can reopen your question and let some of the other tech's chime in, if you want me to do that just let me no.