Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience
2499435

I have been trying to diagnose why my truck won't go into

Customer Question

I have been trying to diagnose why my truck won't go into 4x4....i narrowed it down to what i thought was the issue and replaced the transfer case motor. Before doing so my in dash 4x4 lights would indicate that it was in 4x4 hi and/low but the truck was not. My A/C will blow on face and not default to the defrost so i assumed it was not a vacuum problem. But now the in dash lights aren't working and the truck is still not going into 4x4 after i put the new motor in...
JA: Have you checked the fuses? The dashboard bulbs?
Customer: yes I know the 4x4 lights are working they flash when i am starting the truck
JA: What is the model/year of your Ford?
Customer: 2005 F250
JA: Are you fixing your F250 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes so far i have replaced the transfer case motor
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: thats about it
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 1 month ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose), my normal schedule online is around lunch and after dinner till early morning.

Do you own a volt meter and possibly a scan tool so we can diagnose this from Ford pinpoint tests and wire diagrams?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Unfortunately no I don't

Since you do not have the tools to diagnose this. What from me would make you pleased with my answer?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
A list of what the possible problems could be so I can work through them, just a point in some directions

Possible causes for no 4x4 excluding the shift motor. Possible causes are the fuses, wiring, 4x4 module, shift relays, ESOF solenoid, dash switch.

The more common issues are the shift motor and the 4x4 module to blame.

Please read this:

1. Understand it's not one answer and done. We can communicate back and forth many times.
  2. I do not work at or for Just Answer. You and I can only communicate on this page.
  3. When you're pleased or happy with my answer or efforts to help you. At the top of the screen please rate me or reply and say ( I'm pleased.)
  4. When I help you I am only paid from your question value deposit when you rate me on this screen. Rating does not close the post and you're more than welcome to follow up.

Thanks for using Just Answer, Chris

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I'm going to try the shift relays next.

Okay

Hello again Chris here,

1. I have to assume you were not pleased with my help, because you have not replied or rated the post.
  2. What would you like to do regarding your question now?
  3. Do you still need help? Please reply I want you to get equal to or more than what you paid for.
  4. This post is coming up on the 7 day mark where it times out. That can prevent me from being able to post answers to your replies.

Thanks Chris