Mike S.
Mike S., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician
20625509

I HAVE A 90 E150 4.9 C6 AND NO POWER OR FUEL ECONOMY I WANT

Customer Question

I HAVE A 90 E150 4.9 C6 AND NO POWER OR FUEL ECONOMY I WANT 302 AND AN AOD WILL THAT GIVE MORE POWER AND FUEL ECONOMY?
JA: Is the power loss consistent, or does it fluctuate?
Customer: CONSISTANT BUT NOTICABLE AT HIGH SPEEDS
JA: Are you fixing your E150 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: NOTHING
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I AM CONVERTING FROM 2WD TO 4WD
Category: Ford
Expert:  Mike S. replied 5 months ago.

Hi, I am Mike, welcome. I'm reviewing your question.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 5 months ago.

The 4.9 has 150 horsepower at 3400 rpm and 260 lbs of torque at 2000 rpm.

The 1990 mustang 5.0 also has 150 horsepower, but the HO engine has 225 horsepower at 4200 rpm and 300 lbs or torque at 3200.

Also, Ford offered a performance head that was a stock part on 1993–1995 Mustang Cobra models and pre- 1997-1/2 Ford Explorers and Mercury Mountaineers equipped with the 5.0 L engine called the GT-40 head (casting id F3ZE-AA).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Windsor_engine#302

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I'VE GOT AN 86 E150 302 WITH HEADERS AND AN AOD AND 355'S IN THE REAR ..........I WAS THINKING ABOUT THE SAME FOR MY 90 E150 BOTH E150'S ARE THE SHORT 124 INCH WHEEL BASE........... SO IF I GET THE HO HEADS WHAT WILL THAT DO FOR ME........MORE POWER AND MPG?
Expert:  Mike S. replied 5 months ago.

Stock, that 1986 302 only has 145 horsepower.

More power is probably not going to mean more mpg, chances are it will mean less.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 5 months ago.

Did that answer your question? If so, kindly leave me a positive rating, so I get credit. After all, you have already made the deposit.
If you are texting from a cellphone you must scroll all the way back up to the top to see the rating button.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 5 months ago.

If you want to try to improve fuel economy you should try to improve engine breathing. Usually going from a single to dual exhaust can improve engine breathing or going to larger diameter exhaust pipes. Also headers are known to add both horsepower and fuel economy.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 5 months ago.

Yes, on the heads.

What else can you possibly be waiting on?

Don't forget to rate me well, so I get credit. If you don't the deposit you made will just sit there and I won't get my share of it.