Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

My '98 v6 is hard to start sometimes. Sometimes it fires

Customer Question

My '98 v6 is hard to start sometimes. Sometimes it fires right up and sometimes I have to hold the key in start a long time to get it to catch.
JA: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?
Customer: Yes, the headlights turn on. The battery seems to be fine it is a 24mo old 84mo battery...
JA: Are you fixing your 98 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I haven't tried much. I would fix it myself unless its a fuel pump or something that could use a lift. I disconnected the battery for 10min to fix a problem with 4low now disengaging.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Category: Ford
Expert:  Todd M replied 4 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be attempting to help you today. Sounds like a bad connection order a weak starter. Have you checked the connection to the battery for corrosive material? Or check the starter connections(power and ground) for corrosive connectors? This extra resistance may be causing this issue. A lot of times that's the problem.

Expert:  Todd M replied 4 months ago.

A slipped or stretched timing chain/belt may cause this issue, but it would likely cause other issues.

Expert:  Dan replied 4 months ago.

Hello, my name Dan. Thank you for using just answer.

The first expert opted out, do you still need assistance?