Juan Crespo
Juan Crespo, Tech Trainer
Experience:  A.S.E. Master Technician, Advanced Level, Emissions - Asian, Domestic, & European
19298667

I am having code c2792 and it wont clear. i ve removed the

Customer Question

hi i am having code c2792 and it wont clear. i ve removed the rack and checked it all seems good. i have replaced module and other module is throwing same code. i have also changed battery, battery negative terminal with a good ground connection. checked positive to steering module, ok, checked negative to module, ok. i can manually power the rack and it works fine turns wheels both ways. but whenm i plug it in throws same code . steering motor short to positive. i have also checked continuity on all cables from battery to module from module to rack. all good no shorts no high resistance. i am at a loss.
JA: Does the battery look like it's leaking? And does it have a strong smell -- like sulfur?
Customer: no i just put a battery in brand new interstate
JA: What is the model/year of your Ford?
Customer: 2007 escape hybrid
JA: Are you fixing your Escape Hybrid yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: i just typed above all i have done so far will type again
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: hi i am having code c2792 and it wont clear. i ve removed the rack and checked it all seems good. i have replaced module and other module is throwing same code. i have also changed battery, battery negative terminal with a good ground connection. checked positive to steering module, ok, checked negative to module, ok. i can manually power the rack and it works fine turns wheels both ways. but when i plug it in throws same code . steering motor short to positive. i have also checked continuity on all cables from battery to module from module to rack. all good no shorts no high resistance. i am at a loss.
Submitted: 11 days ago.
Category: Ford
Expert:  jim replied 11 days ago.

If you find this information helpful, please accept my answer and leave a positive rating before leaving the site. I only get credit for my time if you accept my answer.

The following test will isolate the problem you are having.

Clear the codes and perform a Key On Engine Off (KOEO) self test on the Power Steering Control Module (PSCM) to confirm the C2792 is a hard fault.

If the code is present at all times, access the PSCM near the driver's side of the firewall. At connector C1463B (the Black (BK) 4 terminal connector) check for any voltage on the Black (BK) wire at pin 2 with the connector disconnected from the module, and also check for any voltage on pin 4 White (WH) wire also with the connector disconnected from the module. If voltage is present on either wire, repair the short to voltage between the PSCM and the power steering motor.

If the BK and WH wires have no voltage, check the resistance between the two wires to check the resistance through the wiring and the power steering motor. The resistance should be very low, no more than roughly 2 ohms. If it shows abnormally high or open circuit, check each wire from the module to the motor and if the wires are OK, suspect a bad motor on the steering gear (this is normally only serviced as part of the gear assembly).

If the motor circuits test OK, check the powers and grounds to the PSCM. In C1463B, pin 1 Light Green/Violet (LG/VT) wire should be battery voltage at all times. Pin 3 BK wire should be a good ground. In C1463A (the 16 terminal Black (BK) connector) pin 1 Light Blue/Pink (LB/PK) wire should be battery voltage key on. If all powers and grounds are present and the wires to the power steering motor are not shorted to voltage as the code would indicate, suspect a faulty PSCM.
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
hi i have checked all of the above . what you wrote to me is what i have in the pro demand manual. i am a lecensed tech my self but this is a rare problem thats throwing me for a loop. all has been checked but i still keep getting c2792 on the scan tool. i have a snap on solus pro as well as a launch x431 and both are telling me the same thing. i have also checked the rack and pinion against specificatioon and it reads fine. i have also manually applied power to the motor and it works fine within its amperage usage specification. both directions. we bought a used module same part number and it too is giving me the same c2792. this is where the problem is getting weird. i have installed a brand new interstate battery in the vehicle of proper charge 12.74 volts. i have cleaned all grounds from the battery to the engine, battery to the transmission case and body to power steering module case. all are good. battery terminals are tight and clean. the vehicle starts and runs fine . there are no other fault codes in any other control module. all i have is a non functioning power steering system. with a code c2792. could both modules be fried the same way???? could the rack be the fault???? this is what i cant figure out. the rack is very expensive and i have to be justified before i can call a 1700$ rack from ford.
Expert:  jim replied 11 days ago.

I will let the other techs chime in to see if they have something add, don't respond to this or it will lock me into the question and the other techs can not respond. Thank you for using just answers.

Expert:  Juan Crespo replied 11 days ago.

Hi there.

C2792 sets when there is a short to voltage, which doesn't sound like a rack problem. If you have disconnected both PSCM and rack motor and did not find the issue there, then I'd recommend checking the torque sensor (big recall by Ford on 2008-2011 vehicles).

Please let me know what you find.

Best Regards.