Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

The hood release on my 2001 e350 is not working. I pulled

Customer Question

the hood release on my 2001 e350 is not working. I pulled the inner hood release lever, but there was no discernible movement of the hood. Pulling the outer lever (under the grill) doesn't release anything either. I don't know if the cable is broken or the mechanism is just frozen (it is in the single digits here in IL)
JA: Do you hear a thunk when you pull the lever?
Customer: I did when I pulled it the first time yesterday, but not anymore. Thumping down on the hood doesn't seem to get it to reset either
JA: Are you fixing your E350 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: my husband is out of town so I'm on my own with this. I've tried working the primary lever several times to see if I can break free any ice - the same with the secondary lever. I cant' see up under the grill to where the primary cable would be. I can get my fingers under the hood and pry up a little and hear a kind of crunchy noise like there might be ice - but I don't really know what I'm doing
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I don't think so
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ron replied 4 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today. Give me just a moment to review your post, and I'll be right back with the help you need.

Expert:  Ron replied 4 months ago.

Try hooding the cable release in the van out and having a helper go out and smack the hood right on top of the area where the latch is and see if ti will release. If the latch is frozen and sticking it should release. It may take a couple of smacks if the cable is not broken.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
be pulling the lever inside while someone smacks on the outside?
Expert:  Ron replied 4 months ago.

Yes that is correct, pull the release and have a helper smack the hood right on top at the latch.