HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans
Experience:  25 years Auto experience, Ford ,GM, Chrysler, Asian & European
285738

I have a 95 f-350 with a 7.3l I can get it to start with

Customer Question

I have a 95 f-350 with a 7.3l I can get it to start with either but all it does is lope and the wait to start light and check engine light flashes and the idm relay is clicking with the flash
Category: Ford
Expert:  HDGENE replied 4 months ago.

Hello, and thank you for using Just Answer! My name is***** me a few moments to review your question and Ill do my best to assist you.

Expert:  HDGENE replied 4 months ago.

hello, is this a 7,3 Direct injection engine? turbo or non turbo? How many miles are on the engine? Have you run a diagnostic check for codes with a scan tool? The check engine light flashes when running or when the key is turned to on?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
It's a turbo 7.3l and it has around 230k on it ran perfect before I parked it and it flashing when the key is on and when running and the wait to start light also flashes
Expert:  HDGENE replied 4 months ago.

Ok, the first thing to check is the glow plug relay/solenoid under the hood near the fuel filter housing for being melted or wiring damage. Its not uncommon to see this happen. If so replace the solenoid and repair the wiring. If this looks ok, you will have to run a diagnostic check for codes with a scan tool to see what codes are stored to known what area to test first.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok I will run a scan on it when I get off work and see what it says
Expert:  HDGENE replied 4 months ago.

Yes, if there glow plug relay and wiring looks ok, thats where you must start to see what code(s) are stored and indicating a fault. If you need more help let me know. If I was helpful, please leave a positive matrix

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I've changed the idm box already also and all the forms say something about the fuel bowl heater
Expert:  HDGENE replied 4 months ago.

That is a possibility of an issue with that, but it will have a diagnostic trouble code if there is an issue with it. The DIT fuel injection control system is complex with its high pressure oil system. Multiple items can cause a drivability issue.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok I will check the codes in about an hour
Expert:  HDGENE replied 4 months ago.

Very good, let me know

Expert:  HDGENE replied 4 months ago.

Do you need more help with this concern?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I just haven't had a chance to read the codes
Expert:  HDGENE replied 4 months ago.

Ok just checking

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok it shows everything is clear
Expert:  HDGENE replied 4 months ago.

Impossible if the check engine light is flashing and running poorly.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
It says no dtcs
Expert:  HDGENE replied 4 months ago.

Im not sure what kind of scan tool you are using, it will have codes stored if there is a glow plug or drivability issue as you ae describing. DId the glow plug solenoid look melted or damaged?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
It all looks good and the pcm came out of another truck
Expert:  HDGENE replied 4 months ago.

Ok well ill open this up to someone else and see if they can assist you.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok thank you