Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

O/D light starts to flash after driving about 6 blocks

Customer Question

O/D light starts to flash after driving about 6 blocks immediately after starting the car. Then the transmission seems to be in neutral even though the shifter is still in drive. If I let the engine/transmission cool for a at least
JA: Just to clarify, can you tell me which light it is? And does it blink first, then stay on steady?
Customer: Vehicle runs every time for 6 blocks and then trans acts like I shifted to neutral. When I leave the trans/engine
JA: What is the model/year of your Ford?
Customer: 2003 4wd, I think 4.0
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Would like to. Think the fluid is full and red. If it's just a matter of having to pay for diagnosis and then replacing selonoid module i feel i am equiped to repair.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 16 days ago.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Jared D replied 16 days ago.

What you describe sounds like an internal transmission failure, most likely bad enough to require a replacement or a rebuild.

Is it an Explorer?