Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

Ster lights and switch turn back on acc posission when key

Customer Question

ster lights and switch turn back on acc posission when key is out
JA: Is the car in "Park" or "Neutral?" Do you know if your car has a "wheel lock" feature?
Customer: streerewn wheel don't lock and it only happens when It rains or I take her to the car wash
JA: What is the model/year of your Ford?
Customer: 2004 f150 lariat
JA: Are you fixing your F150 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes my cluster was replacet and I check all grounds and realays it will be find for a while then acts up
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: my cab brake light is broken and water gets in
Category: Ford
Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 4 months ago.

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

hey how are you

if the key ignition cylinder is defective mechanical it can turn back on acc, so you will to replace the ignition cylinder ,if that is what you meant buy the comment on switch turn back on

now as far brake light broke and water get in that will cause a short intermittent

go to the brake light fuse and measure with key off & test that circuit like below procedure let see if any circuit is staying on with key off

Battery Drainage Test

1- Voltmeter
2- settings on voltmeter will be on milli amps.
3- go across all the fuses in the car and see which one is reading higher than 0.3 to 0.5 milli amps
4- the fuse drawing more than 0.5 miili amps ,will be the suspected circuit that needs inspection for the drainage.

Please let me know

Thank You

Chad Farhat