Dan, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Auto Technician
94707146

I have coolant coming out of a part that is attached to a

Customer Question

I have coolant coming out of a part that is attached to a hose on the top part of the engine kind beside the windshield washer fluid reservoir. So I am trying to find a diagram of the components and engine
JA: How many miles on the car? How has your mileage been lately?
Customer: car has 280k miles - it is a 2000 explorer. mileage up until this issue has been about it's same 18 mpg ever since I had it new
JA: Are you fixing your Explorer yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I have a guy that fixes my car that is in one of the larger truck mechanics schools and has another job. so I am trying to get a feel to tell him what's up to save him an extra trip to my house
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Well he just put a new radiator on thinking that might help a transmission issue I've been having. But I have continued to loose coolant. I'm guessing thats the reason. I also have a 2003 focus that all of sudden the battery light has come on and the idle is extrmemly low
Submitted: 18 days ago.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Dan replied 18 days ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am an ASE certified tech.

The focus problem sounds like a bad alternator. I will get you a diagram for the engine in a moment...

Expert:  Dan replied 18 days ago.

Is the Explorer a 4.0 engine?

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
also thank you for the info on the focus
Expert:  Dan replied 18 days ago.

Do you see it on this picture? this could be leaking from the intake as coolant flows though it on this model.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
i'm pretty sure it's the intake
Expert:  Dan replied 18 days ago.

The gaskets can be replace and it should correct your problem. I have seen and repaired these before. Sometimes they leak into the engine causing the engine oil to mix with coolant.

Expert:  Dan replied 18 days ago.

Please reply to this if you need more help and we can continue this conversation. This does not have to be my only answer. If you are satisfied with my service, please rate at the top of the screen. Rating does not close out your question. Remember, sometimes it is difficult to completely diagnose your vehicle without being there, but I will try to give you the best answer I can. Hoping to be giving you 5 star service.

Expert:  Dan replied 13 days ago.

Hello again Dan here,

I am contacting you because the post has not been closed or rated.

This question is coming up on 7 days which means it will time out and close.

You have already paid to get this question answered, but you have not rated.

Let me help some more. Is there anything else I can help you with?

If I did not give you 5 star service, please let me know what I missed.